Last week, Destination DC (DDC) hosted a successful July 4th fundraiser on the Potomac View Terrace at the American Pharmacists Association. We raised more than $50,000 for DDC's American Experience Foundation, which impacts local high school students. The foundation gives them exposure to our industry and provides scholarships – all with the hopes of generating future talent for our workforce.
We are excited to work with our partners at Major League Soccer, Audi Field, the Mayor's office, Events DC and others in hosting MLS All-Star Week, which begins July 15 and culminates with the 2023 MLS All-Star Game at Audi Field on July 19 at 8 p.m. As summer rolls on, check out what else is happening across the city on washington.org.
Please make sure to register for DDC’s Marketing Outlook Meeting on Wednesday, Aug. 29 from 8-11 a.m. at the Warner Theatre. Early bird registration prices are available through Aug. 1 and ticket sales benefit AEF. This year’s meeting is all about how we’ll be maximizing additional funding to promote Washington, DC to impact your business with a new advertising campaign as well as the latest data on DC’s tourism industry.
Elliott L. Ferguson, II
President & CEO
Volunteer as a Judge and Support AEF Interns
Give constructive feedback to summer interns as they present on a weekly topic. No experience required. This year, interns are exploring democratizing public space: celebrating our city's history and culture and how we ensure that our city is safe and welcoming visitors and locals alike.
When: Thursday afternoons from 1-2 p.m. or 2-3 p.m. through Aug. 3.
Co-ops Are Available to Enhance Your Reach With Media, Event Planners and Tour Operators
It's almost 2024 budget season. Consider the extra benefits of co-ops, sponsorships, partnerships and other opportunities to boost your DDC membership.
Register as a Supplier for Capital Region USA’s Global Travel Exchange
Taking place on Sept.18-20, the annual marketplace connects the region's travel suppliers with international buyers through appointments, regional familiarization tours and engaging networking events.
Deadline to register: Aug. 1
Convene is Washington DC's leading all-in-one solution for memorable meetings and events. With beautifully designed spaces, five-star hospitality and fully integrated technology, we draw people together and bring out their best.
Part of the PIXELBLOOM Series, the annual celebration showcases mesmerizing convergence of technology, art and nature. Pixels bloom into vivid life, unfurling in a symphony of hues and forms, transforming the space into a captivating visual spectacle bursting with color, movement and enchantment.
- Earned media: Group Tour Magazine listed several members to consider when planning your DC itinerary. Elle Escapes highlighted can’t miss museums and dining in its DC guide. DDC’s upcoming sales and media mission is previewed in New Zealand’s Travelinc Memo (p.2).
New Booking Engine on washington.org: DDC has partnered with travel tech company Ripe to install a new booking engine on washington.org. In the coming weeks, users will be able to book hotels directly through the website, which will access live rates from the in-house reservation systems of local hotels without taking any commission. DDC will be able to better quantify bookings from washington.org and create affiliate links on partner event websites to drive bookings.
- The social media team celebrated Father’s Day, Juneteenth and the first day of Summer. The team also highlighted DC’s top spots with a view in a rooftop guide. The first influencer collaboration of the year with Barry Hoy went live, meant to inspire future travel around World Pride 2025. Industry channels featured our Employee of the Quarter, Shirley Del Carpio, as well as Destinations International's 30 under 30 representative, Jerry Joseph. Industry channels also celebrated Juneteenth, the Fourth of July and June staff milestone anniversaries.
In June, the team tracked over 38 presentations, virtual client sales calls and in-person meetings.
- Maritz Global Events Presentation and Sales Calls (June 8-9, St. Louis, MO)
- Meeting Professionals International - World Education Congress (June 12-16, Riviera Maya, Mexico)
- Association Forum Honors Gala (June 22, Chicago, IL)
- DC From A New View (June 22, Washington, DC)
- PCMA EduCon (June 26-28, Montreal, Canada)
DDC’s tourism team continues to meet with clients from around the world to highlight travel to DC. This month, our global development team is partnering with Brand USA to travel to Japan and South Korea for a sales mission. The team will also represent Washington, DC at sporting events, including the much-anticipated MLS All-Star Game at Audi Field.
What are visitors asking about?
- Where’s the best place to watch fireworks?
- What buses and tours leave from Union Station?
- How do I get a visa to visit the US?
Make sure to use #ExperienceDC
Industry Social Channels: @DestinationDC
Leisure Social Channels: @visitwashingtondc