Please register to attend Marketing Outlook Meeting on Aug. 29 from 8-11 a.m. at the Warner Theatre. What to expect: Be among the first to see our new marketing campaign, catch live performances previewing DC JazzFest and World Culture Festival, and hear how our convention and tourism sales strategies can benefit your business. Plus, learn more about sustainability and accessibility, STR hotel data with a 2024 forecast and updates on visitation to DC.
DC celebrates Black Business Month this August, as well as the 60th anniversary of the March on Washington, which was organized by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and other civil rights leaders. Members of the King family will mark the occasion on Aug. 26 at the Lincoln Memorial to honor the past, acknowledge the present and march toward a future of progress and equality. As always, Destination DC (DDC) encourages visitors to engage with Black history and culture in the District.
There’s a lot to be excited about going into Labor Day weekend. Summer Restaurant Week (Aug. 28 – Sept. 3) offers specially priced meals, including to-go options and cocktail and wine pairings at 150+ eateries, courtesy of Restaurant Association of Metropolitan Washington. And DC JazzFest (Aug. 30 – Sept. 3) will liven the city with incredible performances.
Elliott L. Ferguson, II
President & CEO
Welcome New DDC Team Members
The partnerships and alliances department extends a warm welcome to its newest member, Charlie Ross. Joining the membership team is Gracie Kelleher. Marketing and communications is pleased to have Jordi Rozenman and Kyle Decklebaum on board. Additionally, Crystal Chiles and Megan Fairel have joined the convention sales and services team.
Register for the DC JazzFest Event Information Webinar
Front-line and visitor experience staff will receive insider details on DC JazzFest. Leave more prepared to answer visitor questions, anticipate staffing levels and budget resource needs. All members are invited.
EV Across DC: A Free-to-Attend DC Government Webinar
Attend a special webinar covering electric vehicle charging resources and opportunities hosted by the DC government departments of Small and Local Business Development and Energy & Environment. Registration is required.
When: Aug. 15, 12-1 p.m.
Celebrate the season at Nationals Park – the ultimate holiday party destination. With 300,000 square feet of unique space, we'll bring your festive vision to life. Reserve now and savor joyous moments at DC's cornerstone.
Check out this year's all-star lineup and get your tickets today.
If you are looking to incorporate the "wow" factor into your next event, our stunning views will absolutely fit the bill. The Potomac View Terrace offers expansive views of the entire National Mall. The best of DC in one location.
- Earned media: DDC’s work with the American Experience Foundation is featured in Meetings Today. Decanter published a guide for wine lovers visiting DC. Wellness-focused members in DC were featured in the UK’s Women’s Health.
New Menu Navigation Coming Soon to washington.org: Recent user experience research led to the redesign of washington.org’s main menu navigation, which launches later this month. Users will discover more leisure content through a new menu and a button linking to DDC’s hotel booking engine operated by travel tech company Ripe. Revised navigation is expected to drive up user engagement on washington.org.
- The social media team commemorated the 4th of July with views from the Wharf. The team also continued sharing collaborations from the Capital Pride influencer trip with Reels from Teraj Allen, Sam and Justine Goldon and Kirstie and Christine. Content from the trip garnered more than 277,000 impressions and 55,000 engagements. Industry channels recapped the AEF Fourth of July celebration, the all-staff summer outing and the RAMMYs. DDC also promoted MLS All-Star Week and panelists at DI. Additionally, the team celebrated Elliott's honor as one of the 100 Most Inspirational Leaders.
In July, the team tracked over 19 presentations, virtual client sales calls and in-person meetings.
- Destinations International Annual Convention (July 18-20, Dallas, TX)
- PCMA Capital Chapter and MPI Potomac: Play Ball! Summer Networking Event (July 20, Washington, DC)
- Meeting Professionals International Greater New York Chapter Golf Outing & New York Roadshow/Sales Mission (July 24-28, New York)
- Otkon Dead Dog Reception (July 30, Washington, DC)
DDC’s tourism team continues to meet with clients from around the world to highlight travel to DC. This month, the team is traveling to Australia and New Zealand – top international markets – to meet with media, tour operators and travel agents. Team members will also be traveling to trade shows to network and promote our destination.
What are visitors asking about?
- What are the accessibility options at DC JazzFest?
- How can I join a Pentagon tour?
- What hotels are closest to Metro stops?
Make sure to use #ExperienceDC
Industry Social Channels: @DestinationDC
Leisure Social Channels: @visitwashingtondc