We hope you enjoyed our Marketing Outlook Meeting on Aug. 29. The major takeaway for our members: Destination DC (DDC) drives economic growth through its marketing and we’re launching a new campaign in November called There’s Only One DC. Thanks to additional funding through the Tourism Recovery District, we’ll reach more potential visitors than ever before. Visit the Member Extranet for a copy of the presentations.
Fall content on washington.org is robust and highlights:
There are also lots of cool events to look forward to in the coming weeks, including the H Street Festival (Sept. 16), Walkingtown DC (Sept. 16-24), Theatre Week (Sept. 21 – Oct. 8), Art All Night (Sept. 29-30) and the World Culture Festival (Sept. 29 – Oct. 1), which is collaborating with RAMW to partner with local restaurants (deadline is Sept. 15).
Elliott L. Ferguson, II
President & CEO
Introducing the Sustainability District
A new member recognition program celebrates and encourages members who are considering the environmental, social and economic sustainability of their organizations.
The World Culture Festival | Sept. 29 - Oct. 1
A three-day celebration of humanity and diversity expressed through music, art, food, dance, meditation and inspirational talks. This is a free event taking place at the National Mall. Reserve a free pass to the exciting event on the National Mall.
Welcome New DDC Team Members
DDC recently welcomed 10 new team members across the organization, as well as on the American Experience Foundation. The additions come as DDC prepares for its next fiscal year, starting Oct. 1, 2023.
With imagination, skill, the latest technology and a passion for excellence, our teams create innovative event solutions every day anywhere your events take you.
For over 75 years, Hargrove has been creating events that transform. We work with you to tell your story through immersive experiences for events, inaugurations, activations, expositions, galas, exhibits and so much more.
Ignite your imagination beyond what is visible and step into the unseen depths of our universe. Beyond the Light, an original artistic expression of scientific discoveries, is the story of how human innovation has enabled us to see beyond our imaginations and into the furthest reaches of the cosmos.
- Earned media: Media coverage in August centered on DDC’s exciting new campaign and what’s happening on the National Mall. Local outlets including NBC 4, FOX 5, the Washington Post and Washington Business Journal spotlighted the unveiling of “There’s Only One DC.” The Mall’s Beyond Granite exhibit was featured was featured on CBS Sunday Morning, while TODAY Australia filmed multiple segments on the National Mall and in Georgetown. The successful Australia-New Zealand mission also resulted in coverage in Travel Daily and Australian Traveller. USA Today named DC one of seven destinations for a multigenerational trip, plus Skift Meetings honored Destination DC as the best destination marketing organization in the U.S.
New seasonal content on washington.org: In addition to an array of fall-focused pieces, including where to photograph foliage, can't-miss cideries and beer gardens in the area, ways to celebrate Halloween and Día de los Muertos and ghost tours to check out, washington.org users will find brand new content that highlights historic gems all over the city, related attractions and an interview with Ben's Chili Bowl matriarch Virginia Ali. The DC icon discusses her experiences with Martin Luther King, Jr., the changes the city has undergone across 65 years and much more.
- The social media team highlighted local Black-owned businesses for #NationalBlackOwnedBusinessMonth. The team also partnered with disability advocate Alyssa Higgins and her family, who showcased accessible, family-friendly experiences in DC. Additionally, DDC hosted 15 local content creators at a suite in Nationals Park to introduce them to influencer marketing opportunities. Industry channels announced the #Only1DC campaign, which officially launches on Nov. 1. The team also celebrated August staff milestone anniversaries, Ben’s Chili Bowl’s anniversary, National Nonprofit Day and being named Best DMO by Skift Meetings.
In August, the team tracked over 45 presentations, virtual client sales calls and in-person meetings.
- Corporate Event Marketing Association SUMMIT (Aug. 7-9, Salt Lake City, UT )
- UK Sales Mission (Aug. 19-26, London, Leeds, UK)
- Connect/Collaborate Marketplace (Aug. 22-24, Minneapolis, MN )
- Maritz Activate (Aug. 22-25, Scottsdale, AZ)
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Convene (Aug. 24-26, Panama City, Panama)
DDC’s tourism team continues to host FAMs from around the world. This month, the team welcomes travel agents and tour operators from Australia, New Zealand, Brazil, Germany, France, Belgium, UK and the domestic group market. September is also a busy month for trade shows in Asian markets, as well as a sales mission in Mexico.
The visitor experience team is providing members the opportunity to join them as they take over the Northern Virginia Gateway Welcome Center on Oct. 27. The team will answer visitor questions and recommend member organizations to those driving to DC.
What were visitors asking about?
- Where can I park my car/SUV/coach bus near the Mall for the 60th Anniversary of the March on Washington?
- What are the seating options at the DC JazzFest?
- What accessibility accommodations will be available at the World Culture Festival?
Make sure to use #ExperienceDC
Industry Social Channels: @DestinationDC
Leisure Social Channels: @visitwashingtondc